Millersville University, Faculty Senate
I would like to propose two themes for the your committee. I do not have
the time to present you with an in-depth proposal but I would be very
happy to work with you if you want more information. If you do consider
any of these proposals I would be very happy to serve on your committee.
||Dr. Joel Piperberg
||February 24, 1996
I think that it might be of interest for Millersville Academic community
to explore the role of the arts in society. This is a theme that can be
explored by several disciplines. Foir example:
1. Inviting Howard Gardner, to explain his research pertaining to
Multiple Intelligence and how music and art should be considered one of
the intelligences. What are the implications for education? Exploring
the notion of creativity?
2. Inviting the president of the National Endowment, Jane Alexander,
to present a lecture on the role of the arts in society going into twenty
3. Inviting a journalist such as Bernard Holland, New York Times, to
begin to discuss the future of the arts or what is art?
4. Inviting musicians, dancers and artists to discuss their work
followed by a concert or an exhibition.
5. Important discussions could focus on the role of government in
supporting the arts.
6. Censorship and the arts.
7. Inviting arts organizations from the community to begin a dialogue
on the role of the arts in the community.
I attended a meeting for international faculty several weeks ago. During
the meeting I suggested to the international faculty that it might be
interesting for the academic theme committee to explore world cultures
for an entire academic year. Some of the suggestions were:
Return to Faculty Senate Home Page
1. Invite speakers to address the issues pertaining
2. Have a film series showing films from one or more different
cultures through out the academic year.
3. Have cultural events representing different cultures.
4. Presentations on the Global Village.
Return to MU Home Page