Millersville University, Faculty Senate
Faculty Senate Minutes
2 December 1997
Director of General Education
The director will be a member of the faculty who will be given released
time (6 hours, each regular semester and 6 hours during the summer) to
execute those aspects of the management of our general education program
that are most apropriately managed by a dedicated member of the faculty.
If the faculty is to retain significant control over curricular matters,
it is imperative that leadership of the general education program be
entrusted to a faculty member.
S/he will function in a manner similar to a department chair, and also, to
the directors of other programs such as the Honors Program, International
Studies, African-American Studies, Women's Studies, and Hispanic Studies.
Other duties associated with general education will be performed by
appropriate members of the regular administration; the director will be
the faculty's liaison with these administrators. The director will report
regularly to an administrator designated by the provost and to the
faculty, through the Faculty Senate and the General Education Review
Committee. S/he will coordinate the various components of the general
education curriculum by providing information, and assisting with school
and department activities. The director will be an advocate for the
general education objectives and curriculum, always acting with the advice
and consent of the faculty and appropriate administrators.
Duties of Director of General Education
- Initiate and assist with faculty development programs regarding
general education, including orientation of new faculty, continuing
education for all interested faculty, and special events. This is the key
to making sure that the general education program is owned and appreciated
by the faculty, and that they regularly explain it to students.
- Assist faculty and staff in the task of helping students understand
and appreciate the general education program and its rationale, especially
as a part of orientation.
- Be available to faculty advisors, administrators, and students who
have concerns about the general education programs and to make sure that
these concerns are taken seriously.
- Coordinate the assessment of general education by working closely with
department chairs, deans, the appropriate faculty committees, and the
- Be an advisor and advocate to the UCPRC for courses proposed for
general education credit.
- Meet regularly with the General Education Review Committee and be
guided by their policy decisions.
- Meet regularly with a member of the administration designated by the
Provost, to discuss general education concerns such as the scheduling of
general educaiton courses, problems students and faculty are experiencing
with the general education program, etc.
- Compile an annual report on general education.
- With the assistance of the GERC, conduct the Five-Year Performance
Review of the general education program.
- [Administer the budget for general education programs.] (This assumes
that there will be a budget for faculty development, special events,
general education assessment activities, etc.)
Return to Faculty Senate Home Page
Return to MU Home Page