Millersville University, Faculty Senate
Faculty Senate Minutes
February 17, 2004
Summary of Honor Code Committee
Recommendation to Faculty Senate
- Students sign honor pledge upon admission (required).
Use of pledge optional in classroom.
- Academic Honor Council is formed.
Mission 1: EDUCATION and developing a culture of academic integrity.
Mission 2: Oversee adjudication of academic dishonesty cases.
- Faculty choose whether to follow traditional academic honesty
policy or honor code system for suspected cases of academic dishonesty.
APSCUF says faculty participation in honor system should be optional.
- For Academic Honor System:
- Faculty member meets with student and decides whether case should
be pursued. Completing a dishonesty form is recommended, regardless of
- Honor Court consists of 2 faculty, 3 students, non-voting Assoc.
Provost for AP&S.
- An XF grade, which indicates course failure due to academic
dishonesty, can be imposed for some sanctions. Can be later removed for
- A system of sanctions is presented for consistency of treatment
across students. Worst offenses: XF grade and suspension. Least offenses:
failure for assignment. A faculty member may petition to provide a
different sanction, and it will likely be granted.
- An appeals mechanism is defined to consider new evidence,
irregularities in the conduct of the hearing, and the excessive severity
of a particular sanction compared to the severity of the act for which it
- Students are not required to report observed cases of dishonesty.
- System is introduced over 4 years in educational programs and fun
Return to Faculty Senate Home
Return to MU Home Page